Monzo (View all Jobs)
1. Phone interview 2. Take-home, & call to discuss it 3. 2-3 hours of on-site interviews (systems/behavioural)
Programming Languages Mentioned
We’re building the best bank account in the world. We believe there should be an alternative to the banking of the past: we help our customers better manage their finances through beautiful and intuitive digital tools. We want to replace the terrible user experiences that you are forced to use whenever you log into your bank, and get rid of unfair fees and poor customer service.
Monzo is the lead challenger bank in the UK. In the last few years, we’ve built a banking app with extremely high daily engagement and an NPS that’s consistently above 70. More than 5 million people (10% of UK adults) have a Monzo account. We’ve raised over $1 billion from YCombinator, Stripe, Coatue, Eric Schmidt, Mike Moritz and others - most recently at a $4.5bn valuation. Our competitive advantage is that we operate like a tech company in a space where software has not yet eaten the world - for example, we built our own core banking system from scratch!
We’re just getting started in the US. Your work will help us deliver on our technical and product strategy as we expand into our first international market. We’re a small team operating like an early stage startup but with the financial, operational, and engineering platform muscle of a larger company. We’re focused on launching an amazing US product, shipping and iterating quickly, and finding product market fit. We’re looking for highly driven, enterprising people to help us achieve our mission to make money work for everyone.
Internally, we encourage an open, collaborative, inclusive working environment. We contribute to open source software, and we continually engage with our wonderful community. We’re hiring talented, creative problem-solvers to help us build the bank of the future. Join us!
About the Role
We’re looking for a seasoned, product-aware iOS engineer to help us rebuild banking from the ground up. As one of our first US-based engineering hires, you'll have a rare and exciting opportunity to shape the product, the launch, and the team we hire. Whether it's building new budgeting tools, launching joint accounts, or improving how we communicate to customers, you'll drive massive impact across our entire business. The ideal candidate will have experience working as part of small teams or at early stage companies, and feel comfortable with ambiguity and working independently in order to make progress.
This position will report to the US Head of Engineering.
What you'll be doing:
- Build new features for the iOS app to launch to US customers as part of a small and collaborative product squad
- Test, launch and iterate on product features based on a data driven approach that also incorporates user feedback and testing
- Have the opportunity to get involved in a wider range of projects such as hiring, product testing and vendor selection if that interests you
You should apply if:
- You are excited about and have experience in programming in Swift
- You’ve shipped and iterated on at least one app in the App Store
- You have a product mindset: you really care about customer outcomes and you want to build a product that fundamentally changes how users manage their finances
- You love turning excellent design into beautiful products
- You’re comfortable working in a new, small team that is rapidly growing – you’ll need to be happy with ambiguity, iterating quickly and things changing on a daily basis
- You have an understanding of the principles of computer science
About our iOS app - Technology Stack
At Monzo, you'll get to work with industry standard tools and technologies - and help us define what great looks like for iOS engineers.
Our app is 100% Swift, built using a Model, View, View-Model architecture (MVVM). We use Coordinators to ensure we can re-use screens wherever possible, and avoid tightly coupling one screen to another. We make heavy use of protocols and extensions throughout our app.
Our networking stack is built upon Alamofire, using a generic interface to easily de-serialize objects of a certain type, and we mirror our backend micro-service architecture by building individual services to house our API logic.
We persist objects using Realm when we need to.
Our testing stack comprises of unit tests for business logic, stubbed API tests for pseudo-integration tests, snapshot tests for UI, and XCUITest for testing user input and sequencing.
We've published some talks and blog posts about how we work:
- Working with backend services on iOS
- Pushing Protocols to their Limits
- The Release Mindset (how we release our apps)
We support full remote work from anywhere in the US. We also have an office in downtown SF, where we optionally meet twice a week for meetings, teamwork and socializing.
- 🏥 Great Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- 💲 Competitive salary
- 📈 Stock Options
- 💰 Generous 401k with 4% employer match
- 🏝 32 days of vacation and public holidays per year (and we require that you take all of your days each year as we believe that well rested employees are more effective!)
- Maternity / Paternity leave
- We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
Snippets of Monzo Culture
- Our mission of financial inclusion: We want everyone who wants one to have access to a Monzo bank account, along with information to help them make good financial decisions
- Default to transparency: How transparency is key in the ways we work and serve customers
- The Monzo Tone of Voice: How we use our voice to cultivate clarity, positivity, and approachability
- Gambling block: At Monzo, we focus on helping vulnerable customers
Our interview process consists of an initial phone interview, a take-home coding test followed by a task review call, and 2-3 hours of interviews conducted via hangouts. The ‘on-site’ consists of two rounds:
- You'll meet 2 other iOS engineers. Together we'll go over some technical challenges we've faced as a company. We'll ask you to come up with designs to solve these problems, and we'll ask you questions about your experience using Swift in production.
- You'll meet 2 Monzonauts to chat about some of the non-technical parts of being a product engineer at Monzo. These include your experience in delivery, team work, coaching/mentoring and persuasion.
At each stage you'll have an opportunity to ask us questions about what life is like at Monzo.
We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions. We might design a solution together on a whiteboard, the same way we often work together, but we won’t make you write code on one.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
#LI-San Francisco, United States (Remote)
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄