AMER: Staff Machine Learning Engineer - Semantic Search
Algolia (View all Jobs)
New York, New York
1. Take-home project 2. Onsite discussions and presentation
Algolia is set to enable every company to create world-class Search and Discovery experiences with an API-first approach. Performance and Scalability is at the heart of our mission: we power 1.5 trillion searches a year, for 10K+ customers all over the world. We see Developer Experience as a key element of our offering: we maintain high-quality SDKs for dozens of languages and platforms. We value Grit, Trust, Candor, Care and Humility. If you're a problem solver, able to think outside the box and eager to nurture others and learn from them, then this is your challenge!
You will be one of the first hires on the Semantic Search team. The Semantic Search team is working to blend textual and vector search to power the next decade of search experiences.
This is a great opportunity to work on a product from the beginning, all the way to servicing over a trillion searches a year. We are looking for someone who is skilled not only in the theory of semantic and vector search, but is “clear eyed” about the current state of the art. You will help push us around those constraints to build search that works well in areas where textual matching is best, and works well in areas where semantic matching is best.
YOUR ROLE WILL CONSIST OF:
- You will be responsible for managing the technical implementation of the semantic search pilot, and working with a team to bring the validated semantic search into production
- Leading the technical implementation of the semantic search pilot
- Researching and developing the correct approach to blend textual and semantic search results
- Developing semantic search models that work for dozens or hundreds of customers in different verticals and languages
- Working with the team to being the validated semantic search into production
YOU MIGHT BE A FIT IF YOU HAVE:
- 10+ years experience in ML, 5+ years experience in search
- Primary experience should be in industry
- Put search or ML into production with significant traffic either as lead or a senior contributor to the team
- Iterated on models over time and knows how to keep software up in production, while working with constraints
- Masters or higher in Computer Science with a focus on Information Retrieval (or ML as a bonus)
NICE TO HAVE:
- Experience at our current stage and beyond (over 10,000 customers, $50-200M ARR range, high growth, lots of change)
- Tech lead experience
- Have published and/or presented research on your previous work
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN LIVE OUR VALUES:
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment.
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership.
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback.
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company.
- HUMILITY - Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
Algolia’s workplace strategy, Hybrid Remote, is designed to harness the power of the opportunities that remote work offers both employees and the company, while also providing an engaging in-office experience for the times when an employee is in an office. Our workplace approach reflects the belief that an employee’s impact, contribution, and output are more important than their physical location.
The majority of employees will be able to choose if, and when, they come into an office on a regular basis. There will be times when our people are asked to come into an office for “moments that matter:” activities like critical planning meetings and team social gatherings. Beyond those events, 80% of our workforce may choose the location from where they work in the country in which they were hired.
We have physical offices in San Francisco, NYC, Atlanta, Paris, London, Austin, and Bucharest. https://www.algolia.com/about/
Algolia prides itself on being a pioneer and market leader offering an AI-powered, API-First Search & Discovery platform that empowers 12,000+ businesses to compose customer experiences at internet scale that predict what their users want with blazing fast search and web browse experience. Algolia powers more than 30 billion search requests a week – four times more than Microsoft Bing, Yahoo, Baidu, Yandex and DuckDuckGo combined.
Algolia is part of a cadre of innovative new companies that are driving the next generation of software development, creating APIs that make developers’ lives easier; solutions that are better than building from scratch and better than having to tweak monolithic SaaS solutions.
In 2021, the company closed $150 million in series D funding and quadrupled its post-money valuation of $2.25 billion. Being well capitalized enables Algolia to continue to invest in its market leading platform, to better serve its thousands of customers–including Under Armor, Petsmart, Stripe, Gymshark, and Walgreens, to name just a few.
The team is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Paris, London, New York, Austin, Atlanta, and Bucharest. To learn more, visit www.algolia.com.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
We’re looking for talented, passionate people to build the world’s best search & discovery technology. As an ownership-driven company, we seek team members who thrive within an environment based on autonomy and diversity. We're committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace. We care about each other and the world around us, and embrace talented people regardless of their race, age, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, color, veteran status, disability and socioeconomic background.
READY TO APPLY?
If you share our values and our enthusiasm for building the world’s best search & discovery technology, we’d love to review your application!
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄