Manager, Software Engineering - Mobile App Platform
Samsara (View all Jobs)
Remote - US
1. Phone interview 2. Onsite interview (technical challenges based on real problems we've faced at Samsara)
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,800 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies - Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
About the role:
Samsara is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead our Driver app and Mobile Infrastructure team. The Driver app is Samsara’s flagship mobile application. It is a mission-critical aspect of the lives of 25,000+ enterprise customers and 200,000+ drivers. With a wide range of functionality across Compliance, Routing, Documents & Messaging, and Safety, it is a foundational piece in day-to-day helping our customers succeed with their day-to-day business operations. The mobile infrastructure team builds the app development framework that supports not just the Driver app but all of Samsara’s mobile applications.
In this role, you will:
- Participate with senior leadership and cross-functional peers to develop a long-term roadmap and strategy for the Driver app and for the mobile infrastructure.
- Set quarterly goals and balance product/engineering priorities for maximum impact.
- Drive planning and execution on the roadmap, delivering features and infrastructure enhancements to delight customers and other mobile developers.
- Work with senior engineers on the team to evolve and improve mobile development best practices at Samsara.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on customer success, Build for the long term, Growth mindset, Be inclusive, Win as a team) as we expand and scale our mobile presence (more apps across more geographies).
- Hire, develop and lead an inclusive, engaged, and high performing team.
Minimum requirements for the role:
- Experience building scalable, mission-critical mobile applications and/or SaaS applications
- Strong interpersonal communication skills (including listening, speaking, and writing) and ability to work well in a diverse, team-focused environment
- Strong track record of delivering products and features that customers love
- Proven record of attracting top-talent and mentoring the team
- 8+ years of relevant software engineering work experience
- 3+ years of hands-on technical management experience
An ideal candidate also has:
- B.S. in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- Our mobile apps are a combination of native iOS/Android code and react-native. Our backend is in Golang, runs on AWS, and is deployed using Terraform. Direct experience with these technologies is not required but is desirable.
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄