Engineering Manager, Ubuntu Server Distribution
Canonical (View all Jobs)
Home based - Americas, EMEA
1. Review your open source contributions at shortlist stage. 2. 4x60m interviews over Hangouts, each of which is carried out blind (none of the interviewers talk to each other until the final review). The company is fully remote, so there is no on-site.
Ubuntu Server is the world's most popular Linux - on cloud and bare metal. In this role, you will manage the team delivering the Ubuntu Server Distribution to the world.
Ubuntu strives to offer the latest, best, free software components, in an easy to use and highly reliable form. We build on the technical excellence of Debian and bring additional focus and shape to the solutions we provide to industry. The successful applicant will be passionate about the future of Ubuntu, mindful of the dynamics of the open source ecosystem, and aware of the needs of large, innovative customers.
This is an exciting opportunity for a leader passionate about strong teams, open source software and Ubuntu. Build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
What you’ll do
- Build and lead a globally distributed team of engineers
- Develop talent through coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- Work with Product Management to define the vision and strategy for Ubuntu and your team
- Effectively set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices
- Develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Participate in strong engineering process through code and architectural review
- Engage with teams at Canonical, the open source community and commercial partners
- Oversee the quality of the Ubuntu Server image family
- Plan and deliver Ubuntu Server features
- Work from home with global travel for up to 6 weeks per year for internal and external events
Who you are
- You love developing and growing people and have a strong track record of doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You have 3+ years of experience in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring software developers. Experience managing distributed teams is a plus.
- You are focused on success and the delivery of timely, high quality software
- You have experience working in an agile development environment
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You have strong written and verbal technical communication skills in english
- you have experience with a modern GNU/Linux distribution, Debian or Ubuntu preferred
- Practical experience with at least 1 of Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, or Amazon Web Services
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and Development, with annual budget for professional development
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working options and schedules
- Work remotely with a talented globally distributed team
- 18 weeks full pay primary care giver parental leave, 4 weeks secondary, from day 1
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄