Backend Engineer / Senior Backend Engineer (Rails) - Pipeline Execution (GitLab CI)
GitLab (View all Jobs)
1. A series of video calls 2. Coding exercise involving working on a Merge Request that is like a real work task
$107,500 - $188,900
Programming Languages Mentioned
R, Ruby, SQL
The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,800+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
As a Backend Engineer on Pipeline Execution, you'll play a key role maturing our CI features. Our group is focused on ensuring GitLab CI is scalable, secure and reliable, works well for customers, while maintaining a delightful user experience.
Some of the things we have recently been working on include:
- Optimizing the performance of database queries in CI pipelines and scaling the larger tables
- Improving how we calculate CI minutes
- Enhancing pipeline validation to ensure performance is not easily impacted by misconfigured jobs/pipelines
- Reducing technical debt and bugs with missed SLOs
- Our CI handbook page has more details on how we work as a team and what we're working on next and why.
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect stock options and a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.
What you'll do in this role
- Contribute to the overall direction of the Continuous Integration and Continuous Integration Scaling categories.
- Solve technical problems of high scope and complexity.
- Help to define and improve our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a large scale CI product.
- Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review, and working towards becoming a Backend Maintainer.
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around broader initiatives, specific projects, and community contributions.
- Provide mentorship for Junior and Intermediate Engineers on your team to help them grow in their technical responsibilities
You should apply if you bring:
- Significant professional experience with Ruby on Rails.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Experience developing and optimizing SQL Database queries, bonus points for working knowledge of PostgreSQL.
- Experience in scaling a SaaS product.
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal; key criteria for largely asynchronous work in a remote environment.
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly discuss complex technical challenges, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions.
- Comfort working in a highly agile and iterative software development process.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Our hiring process for the Backend Engineer position typically follows four stages. The details of this process and our leveling structure can be found on our job family page.
For Colorado residents: The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $107,500 - $188,900 for Colorado residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary. Disclosure as required by the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, C.R.S. § 8-5-101 et seq.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄