Senior C++ Software Engineer
Mozilla (View all Jobs)
Remote San Francisco Bay Area, Remote US, Remote Canada, Remote Toronto/Vancover area
1. Deep-dive discussions on technical and mentorship problems solved in the past. No live coding. Total of 3 rounds.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Mozilla Corporation is the non-profit-backed technology company behind pioneering brands like Firefox, the privacy-minded web browser, and Pocket, the content discovery platform. More than 270 million people around the world use its products each month.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff are driven by our vision of becoming the trusted guide to a joyful internet. We design, build and distribute software that enables people to enjoy the internet on their terms.
Web Conferencing has become a major part of online work and life. Would you like to take a pivotal role in improving these technologies within Firefox? Are you interested in real-time encoding, decoding, and streaming of audio and video? Are you an engineer who loves collaborating with experienced, committed developers and managers to help bring the Open Web to millions of people? If so then we'd love to hear from you!
The Web Conferencing Team is looking for a dedicated senior software engineer to help improve the quality and performance of the WebRTC media pipeline in Firefox, including capture, coding, and the lower level networking layers. We also work on the development of new open standards designed to bring the next generation of web conferencing technologies to the web, and help trouble-shoot real-world problems encountered by our users which impact call quality and experience.
What you'll do
- Be a technical leader for the team and help drive features and projects from start to completion.
- Define and drive architectural improvements for web conferencing in the Gecko Browser engine.
- Improve the performance of real-time streaming of audio and video in the Gecko browser engine.
- Work closely with our broader community of developers (both companies and individual contributors outside of Mozilla) to ensure important use cases are solid.
- Write software in C++ or Rust, including tests and documentation.
- Investigate and propose solutions and architectural changes to improve performance, reliability and reduce power usage.
- Work closely with other teams within Mozilla and outside of it.
- Participate in regular code reviews.
- Be proficient in C++
- Be a great teammate.
- Have strong debugging and optimization skills in multi-threaded code.
- Have at least five years of experience as a software engineer.
It helps if you already have experience with, or are keen to learn about:
- Experience with the W3C WebRTC API and/or the libwebrtc library.
- Experience working in the audio and video subsystem of a real-time VoIP or conference applications.
- Experience with the Rust language.
- Experience with networking related technologies.
- Implementing web standards.
- Media related technologies.
- Helping and mentoring junior team members.
- Working in a diverse community spanning many regions and timezones.
- Open source collaboration tools.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us to work on products that promote choice and transparency and give people more control over their lives online. Mozilla is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout our recruiting and hiring process and is dedicated to increasing diversity in our workplace
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄