Senior Full Stack Engineer
NerdWallet (View all Jobs)
Remote (Based in the U.S.) or New York, NY
1. Code review phone screen 2. On-site project to build a functioning app with interviewee's platform of choice
Programming Languages Mentioned
NerdWallet SMB (Fundera), is the go-to financial resource for small businesses. We’re here to help entrepreneurs achieve their financial goals and grow businesses as big as their aspirations.
As a catalyst for smart financial decisions, our combination of proprietary technology and financial expertise provides business owners with tailored solutions based on their unique needs and eligibility—helping them prosper, create more jobs, and, ultimately, grow the economy.
Our Senior Software Engineer will contribute to product and feature enhancements as a member of one of our product pods. They will help build systems that are reliable and simple, user experiences that are beautiful and frictionless, and internal tools that help us all do our jobs better.
Where you can make an impact:
- Contribute ideas for projects to drive the team forward.
- Develop new features that surprise and delight our users.
- Work with product managers and designers to build a well-rounded product.
- Measure and graph your features so we can know how something is performing.
- Constantly be learning from teammates, as well as sharing any knowledge and skills you have with others.
- Create with empathy - always considering the end user and be an advocate for their experience.
- A Customer Focused Approach: Understand the customer needs and are able to build and deliver solutions to meet/exceed customer expectations.
- Ability to Drive Results : Accomplish objectives despite obstacles and setbacks.
- Innovation: Introduce new ways of solving problems and come up with better ways to drive results.
- Ability to Build Relationships: Builds trust and rapport with managers, peers, stakeholders.
- Effective Communication: Able to deliver verbal and written messages in a clear, compelling, and timely manner. You can adapt to a variety of settings as well as different audiences.
- A Team Player Approach: Communicate effectively with the team and put the business’s needs above all else.
- Intellectual Curiosity: Interested in understanding the “Why” behind the business processes and make suggestions for continuous improvement.
We recognize not everyone will meet all of the criteria. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- 5-7 years of technical experience.
- Some familiarity with the current stack or similar technologies: Rails, React, AWS, Postgres, Docker, CircleCI, StatsD, InfluxDB, Grafana.
- Proficiency in Unix environments.
- Experience working with web systems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- A passion for helping small businesses.
- Remote (based in the U.S.) or based in New York, NY
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Industry-leading medical, dental, and vision health care plans for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 13 holidays + 4 Mental Health Days Off
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Financial wellness, guidance, and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) through Northstar
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA Plan with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend, Cell Phone Stipend, and Wifi Stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team events across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
- Commuting stipend
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄