Distributed Systems Quality Engineering Manager
Canonical (View all Jobs)
Home based - Americas, EMEA
1. Review your open source contributions at shortlist stage. 2. 4x60m interviews over Hangouts, each of which is carried out blind (none of the interviewers talk to each other until the final review). The company is fully remote, so there is no on-site.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Lead an engineering team, pioneering new approaches to distributed systems quality. This is possibly the most complex and challenging quality engineering role imaginable, and requires exceptional technical engineering ability as well as analytical skills to deal with large volumes of data.
The Distributed Systems Testing team at Canonical is responsible for developing integration test tooling, analytics and procedures for Canonical's cloud solutions. These include both infrastructure such as MAAS, LXD, OpenStackand Kubernetes, and distributed application solutions such as Kubeflow, Spark and Hadoop. These solutions operate at every level of the stack - from bare metal, up to containers. You will need an exceptional understanding of Linux networking, storage, monitoring and distributed systems tracing to lead this work.
As the engineering manager you'll lead the team, shaping the vision and setting the pace, and collaborate with product teams who build Canonical’s end-to-end cloud portfolio. Your challenge is to ensure high quality and reliability of Canonical's cloud solutions, by developing tools,testing procedures and pipelines for this purpose. Our goal is to revolutionise the world of operations from metal to container, and this quality team is central to our ability to deliver on that vision. We need a unified approach to test, verification and benchmarking that recognises the fluid nature of large-scale distributed systems in production over time.
The successful candidate will be multi-talented, with experience leading and growing successful, collaborative engineering teams, demonstrable ability to solve challenging distributed systems problems, and deep knowledge of Linux networking, storage, containers and virtualization.
What you’ll do
- Build and lead a growing team of remote engineers
- Develop talent through coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- Set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture
- Be an active part of the leadership team shaping our approach to cloud
- Participate in the engineering process through code and architectural review
- Engage with teams at Canonical, the open source community and partners
- Work from home with global travel for 4 to 6 weeks per year for internal and external events
Who you are
- You love developing and growing people and have a strong track record of doing it
- You have good knowledge of quality and reliability oriented engineering practices in a distributed system setting
- You are focused on success and the delivery of timely, high quality software
- You have solid experience working in an agile development environment
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You have strong written and verbal technical communication skills
- You understand modern Linux cloud computing technologies, including networking, storage, containers and K8s
- Familiarity and real project experience with Python
What is Canonical?
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, “the world’s best free software platform”. Our mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping individuals and businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity, we will give your application fair consideration.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄