Senior Data Engineer
Carta (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, New York, Seattle, Waterloo
1. Chat with recruiter 2. Chat with one of our engineering leaders 3. Take home assignment that is not timed ( thinking about code production quality in arriving to a solution) 4. Virtual onsite (5 sessions: take home follow up discussion, architecture and design white boarding, chat with a product manager, chat about teamwork, and another meeting with hiring manager ~ about 4 hours) 5. Team matching (non-evaluative)
The Company You’ll Join
At Carta we create owners and make private markets liquid.
We live in a world where some people live on the equity stack and enjoy exponential wealth growth and preferential tax treatment; others live on the debt stack and may work their entire lives for a company and retire only with the cash they’ve managed to save from their paychecks. Our contribution to solving the wealth inequality problem is moving people from the debt stack (payroll) to the equity stack. By making it as easy to issue equity to employees as it is to put them on payroll, we can create more owners.
At Carta, we are helpful, transparent, fair, and kind. We are relentless executors, unconventional thinkers, and masters of our craft.
Learn more about our Series G fundraising round here.
The Team You’ll Work With
The Data Products pillar builds high profile products that are customer-facing and revenue-generating, and power other Carta products with data and intelligence. Our group is responsible for some of the most critical and foundational products and services in Carta’s portfolio such as Valuations, Financials Integration, Document Services, and includes a centralized internal Data Organization consisting of Data Engineering, Data Science, ML/E & Analytics Engineering.
This role will be in the Data Engineering team supporting our marketing partners. The Data Engineering team builds and scales our analytics infrastructure to support all Carta business units. Our scope spans infrastructure, data integration, quality, visualization, and governance. Our team enables Carta to become a data-driven organization.
We’re a unique and passionate group of engineers, product managers, designers, data engineers, data scientists, and machine learning engineers united by Carta’s mission to create more owners. We place a high premium on experimentation and validated learning and we focus on being values and mission-driven, not didactic or prescriptive. Today, we manage upwards of 1 trillion in equity!
The Problems You’ll Solve
As a member of this team, you will be responsible for building and scaling marketing pipelines to make data accurate, accessible and secure. You will build systems that will allow Marketing teams to answer questions they need in a self-service manner, and allow analysts to quickly answer questions about why something is happening in addition to what is happening. You will partner with the rest of the team and with the marketing team to build best-in-class solutions.. Examples of responsibilities will include:
- Build resilient data pipelines based on internal and external data sources
- Implement tooling for data quality and anomaly detection
- Partner with the rest of the team on prototyping and building scalable products driven by the data team
- Partner closely with marketing team to understand their priorities and help prioritize the work based on their needs
- Proactively communicate opportunities for improvement based on our data
- Constantly identify opportunities for providing self-service tooling to our internal partners
- Knowledge of marketing field and best practices when it comes to building solutions for the marketing team
The Impact You’ll Have
By building scalable self-service solutions you will enable easier and faster decision making. In addition, you will be able to increase productivity and accuracy of our data team, and operations and product teams as well
Successful candidates in this role will always look for a balance between fast delivery and building for scale. You don’t follow the status quo but look for ways to improve how we do things. You are able to talk to technical and business users and explain your work, and are able to be a good partner to your team and to your customers. Building relationships is a priority. Even though our toolstack (Airflow, DBT, Redshift & Looker) are a good start, you will always be in the know on the latest and greatest technology we could utilize. You concentrate on automation and self service. You are also excited to build new products, starting with ideas and all the way to execution. Example of problems you will solve include:
- Architecting multi-touch attribution pipeline
- Scaling our data infrastructure and developing software that allows for improved data processing and automation
- Evaluating build vs buy tooling
- Scaling Looker as a platform to solve operational use cases as well as increase self service adoption around the company, especially on the marketing team
- Evaluating and rearchitecting our data model to support existing and future solutions
- Partnering with marketing team to help in data modeling requirements to support analytics
- Understanding the needs of different parts of marketing team, identify pain points and opportunities, and come back with proposals on how data engineering practice can help
Covid Vaccine Policy
In an effort to safeguard the health of our employees, Carta has implemented a policy requiring all new hires to receive the COVID vaccine (including boosters as the individuals become eligible for them). Proof of vaccination will be required as a condition of employment. Carta will continue to comply with applicable laws regarding the reasonable accommodation of individuals with disabilities and/or strongly held religious beliefs. This policy is part of Carta’s ongoing efforts to ensure the safety and well-being of our staff and community, and to support public health efforts.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. If accommodations due to a disability or medical condition are needed, connect with us via email at email@example.com. As a company, we value fairness, helpfulness, transparency, leadership and build our teams around these values. Check out our careers page to get to know us better as you think about your next step at Carta.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄