Software Engineer (Linux/Python or Go) - Container Images
Canonical (View all Jobs)
Home based - Americas, EMEA
1. Review your open source contributions at shortlist stage. 2. 4x60m interviews over Hangouts, each of which is carried out blind (none of the interviewers talk to each other until the final review). The company is fully remote, so there is no on-site.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Canonical is building a new generation of Ubuntu-based container images to simplify open-source application deployment across the world. These container images will be free to use with long-term security commitments, and engineered for performance, security and usability. As with Ubuntu, we will work in the open and welcome community participation.
In this role, you’ll be developing the tools and technology for building and maintaining this new generation of container images. You’ll be working with multiple teams, both inside and outside Canonical, to ensure we deliver container images with the highest quality whilst maintaining a seamless Ubuntu user experience. You will also be highly involved in the implementation and maintenance of the Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery automation around these container images, for which you are expected to demonstrate deep insights into container-based DevOps.
You will be contributing to fast-moving products like ROCKs (OCI images) and Chisel, and thus have the chance to help steer and consolidate this new team. You’ll gain experience with numerous container technologies and participate in exciting and exploratory tasks, where your feedback will be critical for the decision-making process. As an engineer, your seniority will be based on your software development background and ability to lead junior team members.
Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical. This is an exciting opportunity for experienced software engineers looking for a place to leave their mark, who are passionate about shaping an open source product with the highest quality, with and for the community!
What you’ll do
- Build robust, scalable, leading-edge container images
- Work on automated Ci/CD processes for building, testing and publishing our container images
- Write tools and tests for assessing security compliance and cloud-native compatibility
- Work in Python and/or Go to deliver new functionalities to our container-building tools
- Participate in strong engineering process through code and architectural review
- Provide technical feedback for the team’s decision-making process
- Engage with the open-source community as a subject-matter expert
- Grow our knowledge base and write documentation
- Work in a collaborative, agile and globally distributed environment
- Mentor and help hiring
- Work from home with global travel up to 15% for internal and external events
Who you are - at least some of those statements apply to you:
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You are a team player and have experience in collaborative development
- You have worked with CI/CD systems (e.g. Jenkins, GitHub Actions, Concourse CI, etc.)
- You have a track record of delivering timely, high-quality software
- You have experience with container images and containerised operations
- You master at least one container management/orchestration tool (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
- You have significant experience with Python and/or Go
- You are experienced with Linux systems administration and package management
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills to convey technical concepts
- You bring clarity to technical and engineering discussions
- You are someone who strongly believes that sharing is caring, and knowledge is power
- Your skills range from those of a Graduate to a mid-senior Software Engineer
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or a similar degree
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and development, with an annual budget for professional development
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Work remotely with a talented, distributed global team
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄