Software Engineer - Docker Images & Community
Canonical (View all Jobs)
Home based - Americas, EMEA
1. Review your open source contributions at shortlist stage. 2. 4x60m interviews over Hangouts, each of which is carried out blind (none of the interviewers talk to each other until the final review). The company is fully remote, so there is no on-site.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Canonical is building a new generation of Ubuntu-based Docker images to simplify open source application deployment across the world. These container images will be free to use with long term security commitments, and engineered for performance, security and usability. As with Ubuntu, we will work in the open and welcome community participation.
This role is to lead the team to design and build images, tools, technology, and community processes. This is an exciting opportunity for a software engineering manager, or exceptional engineer looking to take on management responsibilities, who is passionate about open source quality, community, containers, devops and cloud.
Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical. To lead this team successfully you will need to manage high quality open source engineering, demonstrate deep insights into container-based devops, and engage openly with our community. Your time will be split between people management, daily development activities, and direct partner engagement.
As an engineering manager at Canonical your primary responsibility is to your team: ensuring that they grow as engineers, do valuable work, and find satisfaction in their career at Canonical. We expect managers to demonstrate technical leadership so a solid background in software development is required, to challenge and grow your team members.
What you’ll do
- Build and lead a distributed team of engineers in your time zone
- Hire, coach, mentor, provide feedback and hands-on career development
- Demonstrate sound engineering principles by contributing directly to your team’s goals
- Participate in strong engineering process through code and architectural review
- Estimate the engineering effort for roadmap goals and customer projects
- Set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, company management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices
- Develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Play an active part in the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Build robust, scalable, leading-edge container images
- Build automated, reliable container delivery, testing and publication pipelines
- Engage with the open source community on a daily basis, including them deeply in our processes
- Engage professionally with customers and commercial partners to tell the story of this work
- Work from home with global travel up to 15% for internal and external events
Who you are
- You love developing and growing people and have a track record of doing it well
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You have some experience in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring software developers
- You have a track record of delivering timely, high quality software
- You have experience with Docker images and containerised operations
- You have experience with Python
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills to convey technical concepts
- You bring clarity to technical and engineering discussions
- You have practical experience with Kubernetes
- You are familiar with Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, or Amazon Web Services
- You understand the current state of the art in OCI image building
- You have experience working in an agile development environment
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and development, with annual budget for professional development
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Work remotely with a talented, distributed global team
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄