Staff Mobile Engineer, Android
Mozilla (View all Jobs)
Remote US, Remote Canada
1. Deep-dive discussions on technical and mentorship problems solved in the past. No live coding. Total of 3 rounds.
Programming Languages Mentioned
A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven”. Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks.
One of our four commitments is to build “...an internet that includes all the people of the earth - where a person’s demographic characteristics do not determine their online access, opportunities, or quality of experience.”
Mozilla seeks to build a work environment that values and makes space for our employees, partners, and the broader community to bring their vast experiences to our mission - to improve the internet. Being inclusive and transparent for the betterment of humankind is at the core of our values.
A healthy and inclusive internet starts with the tools used to access and discover the Web. On Android, we start by developing applications that give people a choice in their Android browser to experience the Web in an open, safe and healthy environment. Promoting transparency, innovation, inclusion and opportunity from every angle for mobile is at our core.
If you are an experienced app developer and want to contribute to a product that has over 100 million downloads from the Google Play Store, join our team!
What you’ll do
- Design, debug, build, and ship medium to large scale Android solutions that promote a healthy and inclusive internet
- Become a member of a hardworking, diverse, and geographically distributed team delivering Android components, application improvements, and features
- Closely collaborate with stakeholders to understand, define and clarify scope and solidify requirements
- Clearly communicate the engineering development perspective and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical team members
- Define and uphold standards for quality through constructive code reviews, bug fixing, testing, and coding practices
- Provide solutions and feedback to Mozilla's lively and dynamic open source community to improve our Android solutions and support Mozilla’s manifesto
What you bring
- Many years experience building complex applications for a broad and diverse user base using Java and Kotlin
- A passion investigating and squashing bugs
- Experience resolving problems, signaling risk, fostering change, and facilitating collaborative decision-making
- Passion for building excellent products.
- Modern programming practices (code review, unit testing, automation)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment to deliver well-designed, reusable, and high-quality code on time
- Desire to work with, learn, and grow with an outstanding group of people
Bonus Points for:
- Reading and understanding C++ and/or Rust.
- Unafraid of asking questions, and proposing new ideas if you think they will make a positive impact.
We value a variety of voices within our team and at Mozilla. You don't need to check every box on this list to apply.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
Req ID: PLR003
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄