Manager, Software Engineering - Fleet Safety
Samsara (View all Jobs)
Remote - US
1. Phone interview 2. Onsite interview (technical challenges based on real problems we've faced at Samsara)
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,800 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies - Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
About the role:
Samsara is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead our Safety Coaching & Event Review team. Samsara operates one of the largest AI-enabled, connected fleets globally (collecting over 2 trillion data points and 38+ billion minutes of video annually). Video is at the core of Samsara’s Fleet Safety product. Utilizing Samsara’s GPS Fleet Tracking and AI Dash Cam hardware products, the Fleet Safety team uses real-time computer vision and sensor data to detect and alert drivers of dangerous conditions. These real-time video events enable Samsara customers to coach risky driver behaviors and recognize/reward safe driving.
Samsara’s coaching and event review platforms integrate advanced sensor data and data analytics to enable customer and driver workflows that ensure safe driving behavior. The team owns the end-to-end feature stack and builds MySQL databases, backend services in Go, web components in React, and mobile components in React native. It collaborates closely with the Safety event detection and scoring teams to integrate new data and event detection types into coaching workflows and works with product and design partners to deeply understand customer workflows to optimize coaching efficiency and effectiveness for Samsara’s customers.
Come make the roads safer with us!
In this role, you will:
- Participate with senior leadership and cross-functional peers to develop a long-term roadmap and strategy for Samsara’s coaching and event review feature sets
- Collaborate with senior engineers to drive technical strategy to expand the coaching & event review platform to other teams at Samsara
- Collaborate with ML/CV teams to integrate customer workflow results into machine learning training
- Set quarterly goals and balance product/engineering priorities for maximum impact
- Drive planning and execution on the roadmap, delivering features and infrastructure enhancements to delight customers and other mobile developers
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we expand and scale our mobile presence (more apps across more geographies)
- Hire, develop and lead an inclusive, engaged, and high-performing team
Minimum requirements for the role:
- Experience building scalable, mission-critical SaaS applications
- Experience operating, maintaining, and improving upon large scale application services
- Strong interpersonal communication skills (including listening, speaking, and writing) and ability to work well in a diverse, team-focused environment
- Strong track record of delivering products and features that customers love
- Proven record of attracting top-talent and coaching the team
- 8+ years of relevant software engineering work experience
- 3+ years of hands-on technical management experience
An ideal candidate also has:
- B.S. in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- Experience building customer-facing web and mobile workflow applications
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄