Sr. Software Engineer - Schedules Team
PagerDuty (View all Jobs)
1. Zoom / on-site pair programming and tasks
Programming Languages Mentioned
We are interviewing and onboarding 100% virtually at this time. PagerDuty is focused on inclusion and employee well-being by building a culture that isn’t location specific and gives equal opportunity to everyone—regardless of where you are working. Unless your job requirements make it necessary to be in a company office, you may choose to work in-office, remotely, or hybrid.
Overview of the Role
PagerDuty is transitioning from a set of products to a platform that consists of a set of configurable, flexible building blocks that can be leveraged to manage a variety of real-time work and real-time workflows.
With that, we are increasing our engagement with partners integrating other tools with PagerDuty, consultants building bespoke solutions, and customers customizing the platform and creating deeper integrations to fit specific environments and specific workflows.
Come help us and be a part of this exciting digital transformation. In this role, you’ll play a key technical leadership role across several development teams working to define and build a set of platform building blocks to manage real-time work and real-time workflows. You will be working closely with other product development teams internally who will leverage these building blocks to build new products.
As a Senior Engineer on our Schedules team, you’ll be part of a group that’s intensely focused on our customers and the engineering community. We design, build, and run robust systems that extend and enhance our amazing products. Of course, we use our own products ourselves!
How You Contribute to Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
- From day one, you’ll be designing, coding, testing and shipping front-end interfaces, APIs, or backend applications and microservices that ensure we deliver secure, highly reliable and scalable solutions to our customers
- Since we own and operate what we build, you’ll collaborate closely with engineers across teams
- We practice Chaos Engineering, so you’ll be involved in our weekly Failure Friday sessions, where we deliberately break our systems, find weaknesses, and fix them proactively
- With 12,000+ global customers and growing, you’ll be solving really interesting technical challenges while helping to scale our product to keep up with demand.
- Participating in your team’s on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise.
About You: Skills and Attributes
- You have a track record of stepping up and leading successful engineering projects.
- You’ve had experience designing & implementing distributed and highly available systems, and have opinions about what works and what doesn’t.
- You are comfortable with loosely defined requirements where you exercise your analytical skills to clarify questions, share your approach and collaborate with the rest of the team to build/test elegant solutions.
- You have a drive to get results without letting anything get in your way.
- You have a desire to stay ahead of the latest industry trends and technologies, a track record of sharing .contributions to the wider engineering community and a commitment to continuous learning.
- You have experience coaching and mentoring others.
- You have an understanding of the importance of empathy: you should have an open mind to others - no matter how senior or junior they are.
- You have a calm, assertive approach to diagnosing and fixing urgent problems.
- 3+ years of experience in a senior or lead software development role.
- 8+ years of experience designing, building, and operating large systems with scalability, availability, and performance requirements.
- Significant development experience working on customer-facing and web-based systems.
- Experience working in an agile environment with iterative development and fast feedback.
- Mastery of at least one web programming framework (e.g. Ruby on Rails, Phoenix/Elixir).
- Experience with tools that ensure your high-quality work makes a smooth, automated, repeatable transition from your machine to our staging and production environments.
Not sure if you qualify?
Apply anyway! We extend opportunities to a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you're new to the corporate world, returning to work after a gap in employment, or simply looking to transition or take the next step in your career path, we are excited to connect with you.
We are dedicated to providing a culture where our people are happy, enabled and inspired to do their best. One of the ways we do this is by developing a comprehensive total rewards approach that supports employees and their loved ones. As a global organization, our programs are competitive with industry standards and aligned with local laws and regulations.
Your package may include:
- Competitive salary and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package from day one
- ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Program)
- Retirement or pension plan
- Paid parental leave - up to 22 weeks for pregnant parent, up to 12 weeks for non-pregnant parent (some countries have longer leave standards and we comply with local laws)
- Generous paid vacation time
- Paid holidays and sick leave
- Paid employee volunteer time - 20 hours per year
- Bi-annual company-wide hack weeks
- Mental wellness programs
- Dutonian Wellness Days - scheduled company-wide paid days off in addition to PTO and scheduled holidays
- HibernationDuty - a week each year when everyone at PagerDuty, with the exception of a small, coverage crew, is asked to take a much needed break to truly disconnect and recharge
PagerDuty, Inc. (NYSE:PD) is a global leader in digital operations management, serving over 14,000 customers and 850,000 users worldwide, including 65% of the Fortune 100.
For the teams who build and run digital systems, PagerDuty is the best way to manage the urgent, mission-critical work that is essential to keeping digital services always on. We make it easy to handle any unplanned task, event, or opportunity, right away.
Led by CEO Jennifer Tejada, 50% of our board of directors is comprised of women, 45% of our managers are from underrepresented groups, and we are a proud member of the Pledge 1% Movement, committed to donating 1% Equity, 1% Employee time, and 1% Product to accelerate change in our communities. We are Great Place to Work-certified™ and our product is top rated in its category on TrustRadius.
From how we build our teams to who sits in the boardroom, we hope you can see yourself at PagerDuty.
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Should you require accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with local requirements.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄