Staff Software Engineer, Developer Tools
Brex (View all Jobs)
1. Practical questions - 1 hour technical 2. Then 4-5 hour onsite. System design, Coding, values, debugging
Programming Languages Mentioned
Why join us
Brex is reimagining financial systems so every growing company can realize their full potential. As the financial OS, we’re building software and services in one place—disrupting long-entrenched institutions with products and experiences that better serve the ambitions of our customers.
Working at Brex allows you to push your limits, challenge the status quo, and collaborate with some of the brightest minds in the industry. We’re committed to building a diverse team and inclusive culture and believe your potential should only be limited by how big you can dream. We make this a reality by empowering you with the tools, resources, and support you need to grow your career.
Engineering at Brex
The Engineering team includes Data, IT, Security, and Software, and is responsible for building innovative products and infrastructure for Brex and our customers. We believe that engineers should accelerate the business through technology, and collaborate across multiple teams to accomplish that.
Teams are autonomous, value inclusivity, eager to learn, teach, and constantly improve how things work. The software we build today is the foundation for dozens of Brex systems in the future, so engineers have a strong sense of ownership and accountability and take pride in their craft.
What you’ll do
The Developer Tools team provides the tools to write, test, and debug code that enables the engineering team at Brex to do the best work of their careers. Because this team is fairly new, you’ll have the opportunity to contribute to an entirely new competency around developer tooling at Brex. We are looking for engineers who are excited about serving other engineers, and who will constantly challenge us to raise the bar on the experiences we deliver.
- Scope, design, and build tools for internal users to increase their efficiency.
- Identify and automate repetitive tasks that slow down developers
- Gather requirements from across the engineering org for new tools, and then evaluate and recommend solutions based on those requirements
- Champion and document best practices, accepted solutions, and development and production support runbooks
- Leverage design and architectural knowledge to scale and improve performance in constrained environments in accordance with our SLOs
- Play an active role in developing the team’s strategy and the creation of an entirely new competency at Brex around developer tooling, the local developer experience and Brex’s integration testing framework.
- Staff-level experience working with backend programming languages and/or developer tooling. We don’t expect you to know everything about every language, but we do expect you to adapt and learn quickly.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong debugging skills
- Curiosity about and passion for improving the developer experience for all disciplines
- Strong writing skills
- Experience designing and building testing frameworks/platforms
- Expertise in Kotlin, Elixir, or Python
- Customer-focused decision-making approach
- Experience with Docker/Kubernetes in a production environment
- Experience managing services hosted on cloud infrastructure
- Previous experience having founded a venture or was a foundational member of an early-stage start-up. We value entrepreneurial spirit & scrappiness!
*If you feel like you don’t meet all of the requirements for this role, we encourage you to apply anyways. We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome get in the way of meeting incredible candidates and don’t want it to get in the way of meeting you.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄