Engineering Manager - Public Cloud, Python, Golang
Canonical (View all Jobs)
Home Based - Americas
1. Review your open source contributions at shortlist stage. 2. 4x60m interviews over Hangouts, each of which is carried out blind (none of the interviewers talk to each other until the final review). The company is fully remote, so there is no on-site.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Canonical Ubuntu is the most widely used OS for public cloud instances across every major public cloud. Our team builds, tests, and publishes the base Ubuntu images used by millions to ensure optimal performance and security in their cloud estate. We aim to deliver the very best public cloud VM experience, as well as specialized images for specific purposes on each cloud.
We work closely with Amazon, Microsoft, Google and other world-class cloud partners to optimise Ubuntu for their infrastructure. Our goal is to celebrate and enable their particular points of differentiation on their clouds, while also ensure a common operating experience for their users.
As an engineering manager you need to bring both technical and management skills to the leadership of your team. You will also need to represent the team in direct partner engagement. You’ll be responsible for the stability and functionality that our cloud users have come to expect. You will strive to automate the delivery of existing and new Ubuntu image products applied to all modern workloads from web servers to GPU-aided AI for servers, VM’s and containers.
As an engineering manager at Canonical your primary responsibility is to the people you support: ensuring that they are growing as engineers, doing valuable work, and generally having a great time at Canonical. As a lead for strong engineers, technical leadership and a solid background in software development is a must, so that you’re able to challenge and grow your team members. You will have the opportunity to influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
We work in Python and Golang, and expect engineering managers to be fluent in the language, architecture and components that their team is building with. Code reviews and architectural leadership are part of the job. As manager, the commitment to healthy engineering practices, documentation, quality and performance optimisation are equally important technical responsibilities, as is the requirement for fair and clear management, and the obligation to ensure a high performing team.
What you’ll do
- Build and lead a team of engineers in your timezone
- Develop talent through coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- Demonstrate sound engineering principles and directly contribute toward your team’s goals
- Set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, management, and external stakeholders
- Lead modern, agile software development practices
- Ensure a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Build automated, highly reliable image delivery, testing and publication pipelines
- Engage with many other teams at Canonical, as well as the open source community and commercial partners
- Work from home with global travel up to 15% for internal and external events
Who you are
- You love to mentor, develop and grow people, and have a track record of doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You are focused on success and the delivery of timely, high quality software
- You have experience and commitment to agile development methodologies
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- Software development experience in Python or Golang
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Practical experience with at least one of Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, or AWS
What Canonical offers:
- Personal learning and development budget
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual leave
- Priority Pass for travel
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, the world’s best free software platform.Our services help businesses worldwide reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity we will give your application fair consideration.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄