Engineering Analyst / Senior Engineering Analyst, Internal Engineering Analytics
GitLab (View all Jobs)
1. A series of video calls 2. Coding exercise involving working on a Merge Request that is like a real work task
Programming Languages Mentioned
The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,600+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
This Engineering Analyst or Senior Engineering Analyst, Engineering Analytics position is all-remote. Engineering Analysts at GitLab build and improve on the data analysis needed to support a highly productive 500+ person Engineering Division distributed around the world. They equip our Engineering leaders with actionable metrics and performance indicators to make better decisions such as merge request rates, age of current open security vulnerabilities and GitLab.com availability/uptime. They work closely with GitLab’s separate Data team to ingest new data capabilities that drives our analysis and visualizations. Here is a list of internal engineering metrics the team is currently supporting which has a big impact on the company and visibility into each of our engineering VPs.
- Create data queries that provide actionable data-driven insights.
- Create actionable, concise, and presentable data visualizations.
- Continuously improve the accuracy and efficiency of Engineering Departments' performance indicators.
- Develop analytical models to provide data-driven guidance on business decisions.
- Develop utilization/forecasting models to predict future outcome of business or financial objective.
- Create SQL/Sisense code that meets our guidelines and coding standards.
- Explain trends from data sources and identify opportunities for improvements in the assigned Engineering Department.
- Understand business processes and policies of assigned Engineering Department.
- Manage, analyze and report on assigned Engineering Department's Performance Indicators.
- Interface with leaders to provide timely, accurate and relevant data.
- Document Engineering Analytics team process in the handbook.
- A track record of using quantitative analysis to generate insights, and drive better engineering operational excellence.
- Clear and concise communication, able to convey complex business logic, and analytical recommendations to stakeholders.
- Deep understanding of SQL and track record of writing complex queries.
- Experience with Data Visualization Tools (E.g. Sisense, Looker, Tableau)
- Experience with performance and optimization problems at scale, demonstrate ability to diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Good understanding of data warehouses (e.g. Snowflake, Redshift, BigQuery)
- Good understanding of data ingestion methodologies (e.g. ETL, ELT)
- Able to thrive in a fully remote organization.
We're aware the confidence gap exists so we want to encourage you to apply even if you do not match all of the requirements exactly. The above list is intended to show the kinds of experience and qualities we're looking for. It is not a complete list of pre-required skills.
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect RSUs and a competitive salary.
We are committed to your career growth. We have quarterly career development check-ins and ensure time and focus is set aside for learning activities. Additionally, we offer $10k USD per year Growth and Development benefit for those who want to further their growth with professional courses, programs, or conferences.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.
Our hiring process for this Engineering Analyst position typically follows five stages including a call with our recruitment team. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄