Firmware Quality Engineer
Samsara (View all Jobs)
1. Phone interview 2. Onsite interview (technical challenges based on real problems we've faced at Samsara)
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,800 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies - Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
About the role:
Samsara's Quality Engineering (QE) team uses test engineering and data analysis skills to drive product quality so that our customers can realize the full benefits of our platform. In addition to testing the product, the QE team seeks to cultivate a quality culture that produces best in class product reliability, usability, and performance across all of our product development teams.
We're looking for an experienced firmware quality engineer for our Vehicle Gateway (VG) product, which forms the data foundation for our Telematics offering.
In this role, you will:
- Act as Quality Engineering in a tight knit Firmware Quality pod.
- Partner with your QE Lead/Manager, Firmware Development and Product teams to define quality goals, expand test coverage, and ensure high quality releases
- Create and maintain comprehensive and effective test suites
- Run systems-level manual and automated in-house acceptance tests and real world driving tests to detect defects and regressions in our cloud application and devices
- Rapidly diagnose issues and perform root cause analysis with firmware, backend, and fullstack developers
- Set standards of quality in our deliveries and QA best practices
- Actively champion a culture of quality by analyzing product quality data and deriving / delivering actionable product quality insights to product development teams
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for the role:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a technical field. Electrical or Computer Engineering preferred
- 3+ years of experience in a quality engineering function
- Strong technical understanding of embedded + distributed systems
- Working experience with automated test environments and manual test beds
- Proven abilities for effective low-level troubleshooting and root cause analysis
- Strong communication skills, comfortable working with teams from diverse backgrounds
An ideal candidate also has:
- 1+ years of experience in embedded systems testing (Automotive and IoT preferred)
- Proficiency with scripting and querying languages: Python, SQL
- Proficiency with serial data communication including: CAN, LIN, I2C, Tachograph, and SPI
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄